Thursday, February 1, 2007

I Found This Interesting...

Here's an old-post from my MySpace blog...


December 24, 2005 • Saturday

XM Radio
Current mood: blah

So I got an XM radio last week and it's safe to say that I'm in love. It isn't safe to say, however, that I will discontinue my listening to commercial radio. I am so completely torn between commercial and satellite radio--->although satellite radio is completely genre specific and virtually commercial-free with minimum DJ banter, I still can't avoid the sound quality that emits from commercial radio---nothing can beat it. Maybe it's because I purchased the cheapest XM car radio transmitter, but regardless I'll always go back to commercial radio.

The only thing I don't like about commercial radio, which you could say is a major problem with all commercial radio stations, is that they do not have enough flexibility within their playlists, this is why it's so hard for Indie musicians----even those new musicians signed to major labels----to get airplay. XM and other satellite radio provdiers create a niche for these artists to flourish and for their music to be exposed.

Ok, that's enough of my discussion on commercial vs. satellite radio. Merry X-Mas to all the Jews of the world.



....Interesting. Even back then I was able to determine the problems that still trouble the radio industry. What I am suprised by here is that, back then, I preferred terrestrial over satellite radio--which is INSANE! How quickly things change, my friends. I haven't listened to XM in over a year and I can't even tell you when the last time I heard good terrestrial programming. These are the problems our industry unfortunately faces.

Today one of my old professors told me that radio is not dead. In fact, he said, Internet radio has been the fastest growing radio format in the past few years. According to him, once WiFi becomes readily available, Internet radio will quickly gain popularity. There will be thousands upon thousands of stations available to listeners on-demand. Back in 2004, About:Radio reporter Corey Deitz saw the future of Internet radio as "bright". He agrees that Internet radio "will slowly evolve and with the help of broadband, wireless, and product development it will find it’s rightful place in the home, auto and hand-held device." Maybe someone should give the heads up to stubborn terrestrial programmers so that they can develop a game-plan for breaking into Internet radio niche-markets.


You can find more information regarding this subject here: The Future of Internet Radio Is Bright

No comments: